Research Office

Research grants management


Adjust text size A A A | Print 
Print this page


US Fulbright Specialist Program


Annually during the second semester


To provide academics and professions from the United States with opportunities to collaborate with their South African counterparts on curriculum and faculty development, institutional planning, teaching, and other short-term activities. This is usually for periods of three to six weeks.

Who can apply

South African universities can submit requests for short-term Fulbright grants to US faculty and professionals to visit South Africa.

South African Visiting Scholar or Researcher Program


Annually during the second semester


This is intended for researchers to conduct independent postdoctoral research or lecture at a US academic or research institution in any given academic year for a period of three to nine months.

Eligibility Criteria

South African citizens in possession of a doctoral degree with at least five years' teaching experience in a South African university or technikon and a solid publishing track record. Candidates may not have held a Fulbright grant for study, teaching or research in the US in the past three years or hold permanent residence in, or dual citizenship with, the United States.


The Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence (SIR) Program sends scholars and professionals from South Africa to lecture at U.S. colleges and universities that do not often have the opportunity to host visiting scholars (small liberal arts colleges, regional undergraduate universities, community colleges, and historically black or Hispanic colleges and universities).

Calls are issued when there is an explicit demand for South African expertise.

back to top

Contact us

Wilna Venter
Tel: 021 650 4380


US Fulbright Specialist Program

Fulbright South African Visiting Scholar or Research Program

Fulbright Scholar-In-Residence